Sunday, August 16, 2009

Many July Posts

We spent most of the month of July up in SLC helping my mom and dad get ready to sell their house and move. It was so neat to go through their stuff. Yes, some (or most)of it should have gone to D.I. years ago, but it was such a walk down memory lane. I loved hearing the stories about some of my mom's jewelery--finding old letters that mom and dad had written back and forth to each other just a few days and weeks before their wedding. I found a letter written to my grandparents by my mom that was telling them about their flight arrangements when they were going to visit them in Frankfurt. I thought, jeese, I won't write them a letter, I would just forward the email and it would eventually just get deleted, or I would call them for free over the internet and they would write it down on a piece of paper that would get thrown away. Yes, blogging may be some form of family history and the only kind that I am attempting to keep up with, but what kind of memories am I leaving my kids????
I was so grateful to be going through their house while they were alive and well and were able to tell us what was "important" to them--and the meaning behind some of their things that may have just been considered junk. Yes, my mom even said on a few items, "I am keeping this because I have to---but when I die, feel free to get rid of it. " (that was mostly on some jewelery items). Kristina and I were able to find out WHY it was important her, but it may mean nothing to us. But now I know why, it does mean something to us.
Anyways, it was a great experience and my kids were champs, but they loved spending time with cousins. But we are glad to be home in our own beds with Steve. We sure missed him.

We did get to see him for about 24 hours when he came up to see our friends be sealed in the temple. That is for another post, but we are grateful we got to be apart of that as well.

So enjoy all of the July Posts--

5 comments:

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Are they moving far away? Will you still have "roots" somewhere. I guess it isn't like you grew up in that house though. Maybe it makes some of that memorabilia even MORE important.

I am working on a 40th wedding anniversary DVD for my parents with all of our old pictures and music, etc. It has been so fun to just look back and remember. There really are so many wonderful things in life.

Science Teacher Mommy said...

Okay, I actually scrolled through and looked at the pictures. (Kate is so grown up that it nearly made me cry; though I suppose Ammon is just the same way.)

Germany? That IS far away. For the church? I probably missed something here.

Lisa R.D. said...

I love all these posts! What great memories you made for your kids... days on end with cousins at Grandma's house... what more could they want?

I'm glad I got to see you for a few minutes at the shower...

Your kids are beautiful and are growing up so fast!

calmrapids said...

How fun to go through all the stuff with your parents. I really need to do that with my mom. There's so much I know it would take years, but it's all so important to her.

I'm glad you had a great time with all the cousins and family. It will be hard to have your parents so far away--I'm sure there there will be visits though!

Amy said...

Hey Melissa, I was happy to find your blog from Stacys.
Four kids now huh! Me too. You guys all look so beautiful! Are you still in Henderson? We are actually in Wyoming now with Laura and so are my folks. They will be moving to Idaho Falls before winter. I can't believe your parents are going to Germany. Sooo neat! Thats a lot of sad grandkids to miss.