Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Luke's Fluke and some catching up




The guilt has won. I need to post, but after looking back at the previous posts, some of them get embarrassing. You know how trying times come in sets of 3. Our times have come the last year. YEs, we get through them, and as the next one comes, the previous one was such a joke, it wasn't really a trial at all. But I think I might say this summer has topped them. There is nowhere to go but up from here. No, I don't need a pity party. I have already given myself enough of them, so this is just a history. See, blogging is my excuse for not keeping a scrapbook or journaling, looks like I am doing awesome on it huh?????? Oh well, here it goes.
Luke's Fluke
Meccles Diverticulum---ever heard of it??? If not, you can either do a google on it or ask a med student that is studying for Step 1 of the boards.(it is a common ?, and yes, Steve got it right on his boards). This thing is in 2% of people and only 2% of that 2% every have a sympton, hence the name Luke's Fluke. (Thanks Dad.) After day 2 in the ER, and multiple X-Rays, a Cat Scan, they decided his appendix had ruptured. So they rushed him into surgery, only to find it not ruptured, but they took it out anyways, and then went and found the meccles and cut out a few inches of his small intestine where the meccles was.
My mom was there that next morning, thinking she was going to take care of Kate and Jacob, but instead was there at the hospital with me. That was probably more work than Kate and Jacob would have been. LUke couldn't eat or drink while his small intestine was healing(that took 6 of the 7 days we were there.) So we couldn't torture him and so every time I had to eat or drink, I had to leave the room. Well, when I am pregnant, I need to eat ab out every 20-30 minutes or I am in trouble. So, that is why I needed my mom with me, so when I needed to eat, Luke wouldn't be alone. I am so grateful that she was there. For some reason, the Zofran hasn't work as well with this preganancy as it did in the past. It was very humbling to have to rely on friends and Relief Society to take care of the kids and bring in dinner. Where was Steve you ask? He is doing rotations---at the time, he was doing a family practice rotation. They did let him stay home the day after surgery.
So around day 4 or so of the hospital visit, my brother calls and says, man, you guys sure have gotten the short end of the stick lately. Now if you read some of my past blogs(I know there aren't many, but many of them are "short end of the stick" items. I think he was also referring to my purse that got stolen in june, and I don't think I will mention any more. I don't think we have a bad life, we are just in one of those down times, and at times I think it just won't end. But then I think about other people's lives and realize that my problems are really nothing. We are all healthly, we have a roof over our heads, etc.
IF you didn't know I was pregnant, don't feel bad. Steve didn't know either till the Radiologist blew it. I had been at the ER for most of the day by myself. Luke had already had some X-Rays and so they knew I had to be out of the room. But when they needed to do a Barium ENEMA, (yes, it is as Barbaric as it sounds) I thought, oh good, Steve will be here for this one, Luke won't be alone during this long and barbaric procedure. SO we walk in the room,and I was going to leave right as they were getting ready to proceed, and the Doc says, as we walk in the room, SO, you are pregnant, and need to wait around the corner. DUH!!!! I had been doing this all day. BY the look on Steve's face, the doc knew he had really blown it. I just started laughing and Steve said, Oh is that why you have been laying on the couch this week. It was a little comic relief to the day.
Anyways, we are so excited for this pregnancy, but during the hospital saga, this added to the "short end of the stick" life. Why didn't his happen a month earlier, when I wasn't sick, or 3 months later when I would be done with all day sickness. Oh yeah, did I mention Steve was studying for the boards---just the biggest test in his life. OH well--"short end of the stick" scenario again. IF it had been a week later, he would have been done with the boards.
So all in all, I have nothing to complain about because we are all good and healthy except for the all day/night sickness--oh yeah and a cold. Who gets a cold in the summer??? "Short end of the stick"? Did I mention the daily shots I have to give my self? When I first found out I called it another "short end of the stick" deal, but my mom reminds me it is a blessing.
SO enough is enough. We are happy and healthy and just waiting to conquer the next trial if this all day sickness doesn't conquer me.
Thanks so much for all the support during Luke's hospital stay. Luke got more toys/gifts than Christmas and Birthday combined. Maybe this was his way of getting gifts halfway through the year instead of people combining his Christmas and Birthday gifts. HEE HEE HEEE

8 comments:

Cheri said...

This just makes me sad to read...but SO GLAD that there will be yet another cousin joining the family!! Take care of yourself, and hopefully the "bad things" coming in multiples (for you) will STOP and you can feel better and everyone will be healthy!

Yay for cousins!

Lisa R.D. said...

I was so excited when I saw that you had a new post... but reading it just makes me feel bad for all the rotten things you've had to deal with. I'm glad you've been able to keep your sense of humor through it all... and so very glad that Luke is okay. Your dad mentioned that he was in pretty bad shape for awhile, but that he is now okay, which is a huge blessing.

Congratulations on your pregnancy--that is wonderful news! It's too bad that it comes with the all-day sickness. I hope it goes away soon!

Rainie said...

Sorry for all you've been through. Is Luke all better now?? Congrats of the pregnancy, I'm so excited for you!! (and don't wait another six months to post:)j/k

Natalie N said...

CONGRATS on #4! What wonderful news. I am excited for you, and I have a feeling another baby in the home will break the bad luck spell, right? :)
Sounds like you guys have great attitudes despite all these crazy "flukes" you've had to endure. Keep the posts coming!
xoxo

Heidi said...

I loved this recap--I could just imagine hearing you retell this story in person. Natalie told me to check out your blog and WOW have I been out of it! First of all, CONGRATS on the baby on the way!! I am so happy for you guys, and at the same time sorry you've hit so many speedbumps lately. You're such a trooper and truly one of the strongest women I know...keep up the great work with your cute family and hang in there!

Lanier Household Creations said...

Oh my gosh! I had no idea you were prego! I have been away fora while though! Congrats on baby #4! =)

The Dell Family said...

You have new postings. How exciting. You never told me that Steve didn't know about your pregnancy. That is a funny story. Thanks again for coming to my craft fair. Also so glad Luck is just fine now. What a relief. I wish we weren't out of town during that time. I would of been so willing to do anything. But it looks like you have so many wonderful friends and family who love you so much.

Danielle said...

Hello Melissa,
Yes i happen to stumble onto your blog and I am so glad to see a new post. Gee to sorry for all the many things that has happen this year. I always say when it rains it pours. Congrats on the baby, I truly feel your pain. I know what it is like to be sick ALL day. I pray that it is over soon for your sake. Hey email me at jenkdani@gmail.com and I will invite you to my blog. Private at husbands request. Take Care!!